Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Market and a Stomach Problem

I'm sick. Not the kind of sick where I need that bathroom, thankfully. My tummy just hurts. This is when it sucks to be alone in Mongolia.

Today I set off for the big market with a Stanford med student. We got there early, which was great because it's obvious that the place gets nuts in the afternoon. It's the largest market I've ever been to for sure. There's a section for hats, a section for tires, a section for leather, a section for ger (yurt) stoves and so on. I was able to check out all the stuff I want to bring back for students like fabric and traditional clothing. There are amazing leather boots I hope to bring home with fantastic Mongolian designs. There are also some amazing fur hats that are $20 and will make you think KGB.

After the market, we walked to the Bogd Khan Palace. Temples, temples and tangas- silk mural paintings. Our adorable guide spoke horrible English and it was clear that it was more for her to practice than educate us.

I had to leave early to get my lesson in Mongolian nomadic social graces and get the details for my trip tomorrow. I leave at 8am on a 5 hours bus ride into the country. I'll be staying with 3 different families and I'll keep my gps spot on for you to follow. Unfortunately, I'll be completely out of contact until the 9th or 10th. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment