Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sain Banuu Mandelgovi!



Remember those shirts people had that said hello in [insert language] and then the country name? Like, "Hola Madrid!" Well, I'm bringing it back, but like an annoying ironic hipster. Get it? Because, like, I'm in MONGOLIA and that's not that cool place where I did study abroad for 3 months and now think I lived there and understand the culture so I'm entitled to talk about it in my class and take up other students' time along with my professor's.

Anyhoo, today I started teaching the teachers methodology and teaching the students English. (SEE PICS ABOVE!!!) All of the people are great. Sadly, the teachers have zero materials and a rigid state curriculum. These young women all have at least one child, make about $200 a month and have to buy their own chalk, let alone paper. Big ups to the Mongolian government on those budget decisions. I emailed DonorsChoose.org about the international thing.

Here are some new facts I learned- last winter was so harsh that some herders lost ALL of their animals. ALL of them. It was quite common to lose about 50%. This has created a serious social issue as they move to cities jobless and remain jobless in ramshackle ger slums on the outskirts of town. A non-sarcastic big ups to the Dungovi Aimag for trying to give the herders animals to start again.

One of the reasons they lost so many animals is the because of the snow. Instead of harvesting for the winter to feel the sheeps, goats, horses, camels and cows (add in reindeer and yaks in the north, the latter being quite funny looking creatures), they have them dig under the snow to what might be left below the frozen surface. To me, this sounds like the dumbest idea ever in a place that feels temperatures of -40C but I guess it's been working for thousands of years. Kind of.

And I had something resembling a western meal today. I've been dreading food. (Gummy Bears count as a breakfast cereal, right?) It was stirfry-ish with goat and bell peppers. I think the top of the salt shaker was open when they went to sprinkle some in. Oh well, I did it for the bell peppers.

Oh, oh, oooohhhh I forgot to mention my hotel. I'm staying in the AltaiGobi, which I think is the swankiest hotel is this town. I have my own bathroom with running water and even HOT water if I wanted it (but I don't want it because it's 95 degrees out and I'm a sweat monster). I also have a sweet karaoke room if I feel the need to listen Journey screeched in a Mongolian accent. Shiver.

Just found another sweet blog with entries about the very trip I just did. All of the families are ones I visited too.

Now... time to get some pictures up. Eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment