Saturday, July 10, 2010

Tom? Jijig? I'll take it!!!


I ramped up my Mongolian language skills today and hit the market, Narantuul, with Amy, a Canadian at my hostel Oyuna, whose boyfriend needed my re-hydration salts. I went in on a mission- fabric and traditional clothing for my new students. Mission accomplished. I bought two beautiful del (see above picture) and 6 gorgeous meters of different fabrics. I'm going to have to head to another market to get myself some riding boots.

Once again, this market is amazing. This time, a day before Naadam, the biggest event of the year, I only saw 4 other tourists in a market of thousands. You can get everything there- from rusty, used gaskets to whole sheep.

Sorry Dave, but I lost my gray Nalgene on the plane ride from Beijing. I started with two- now I'm down to just one that smells like goat. I'm trying to air it out after it held boiled water from the gers. The khaloon us (hot water) had awesome goat milk curd floaties that rotted really nicely over the past few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment